This is the new plumbing for the clawfoot that we put in. At the time this picture was taken, we thought that we were going to be able to relocate the tub that was in the basement. Only later did we actually measure things out, and we found that it would be awfully cramped with a full size tub, which would make the door impossible to open all the way. That forced us to have to purchase a shorter (and VERY expensive) new 54″ clawfoot. The standard (66″) sizes are so plentiful that it’s easy to find a used one, but the small ones are pretty tough to find.
The most painful part was when we checked at Hippo Hardware, one of the great old house part resources in Portland, and were told that they had had a whole bunch of them from an old hotel that closed down, but they had just sold out of them. They had a waiting list many people deep, and we couldn’t wait that long. We were still renting our friend’s house and running out of cash quickly. In the end, it was expensive but very easy to just buy a tub from VintageTub.com.