We got a new bid from a good contractor for $800 less than the first one. Given that they could also start within a few days instead of close to a month, the choice was easy. Because our other bids didn’t pan out (one guy never got back to us and the other bowed out because he worked by himself), we decided to just move forward instead of wasting more time. It looks as though they’ll start the hanging within a day or two!
This weekend I cleared out all the tools and remaining materials so that they’d have space to work. I also went ahead and cut a hole in our patio cover and added plywood to make a standing/walking surface. My initial plan of gracefully removing the panel in order to be able to reinstall it did not pan out. The nails wouldn’t budge, so plan B was to rip it to shreds. They’ll have to start with the “fun” job of lifting bunches of sheets through the slot and feeding them into the back bedroom through the window hole. And that’s after carrying them up our front stairs and all the way to the back of the house. An elevated lot is a major pain.