Today I built the much-needed scaffolding, which will really help me (safely) get up under the eaves to finish up the rafter tails. I was able to build the entire deck from the pallet that our clawfoot tub shipped in, thereby justifying it taking up space in the garage for the last 5 years. Combined with low lumber prices, I was able to build the entire thing for about $18!
I used bolts to attach the deck and angled support, so that I can break it down as necessary to move it around the different sides of the house. This was so much cheaper than renting scaffolding the rest of the summer. I think the pictures don’t give a sense of the scale, as it’s 10′ wide and a full 8′ tall. The last picture is the scaffolding that my dad and I built 9 years ago when he helped us paint our old house. I simply made it a little bigger to reach this house’s eaves.