Drip cap in [on] the house

One of the lingering prep issues with the exterior was the drip cap on the dining room bay.  It was suffering from the double injustice of being the most exposed on the ground floor (because of the bay) and having been installed improperly.  In several areas of the house, the drip cap was horizontal instead of sloped.  With our big eaves it’s not usually an issue, but the dining room catches more rain than any other area.  And if there’s no slope for the water that builds up, what’s going to happen?

Unfortunately, I was unable to find any moldings that matched the profile of our drip cap.  McCoy had one that looked right, but it was 1/2″ narrower than ourso match our house’s (F890 on pg 27 of their molding catalog.)  So, I ended up buying a Cedar 4×4 and table-sawing my way to new drip caps.  I can’t remember which took longer, making them or installing them, but they came out great.  Sadly, my “brilliant” idea of adding  a drip groove feature to the caps was one of short-lived glory.  Once I installed the molding below, I realized that my groove was going to be covered by caulk 😦

Horizontal cap + rain = not so good
Horizontal cap + rain = not so good
Old v. new
Old v. new
A little caulk, and we're good to go!
8° of freedom
Not yet rotten!
Not yet rotten!
Advertisements

5 thoughts on “Drip cap in [on] the house

  1. My house has this same three piece set up of drip cap, crown molding, and horizontal board. I also need to replace some of the drip cap along with the crown molding underneath it. I have not removed any of the damaged pieces yet, so I’m wondering about its construction.

    Where do the nails go to hold this all together? Or restated, how are the drip cap and crown molding held together and to the house? What is the order for their installation? Thanks.

    Like

  2. Kirk,

    The horizontal board would go on first, and what I found worked best was to install the top piece next. In areas where I was replacing the trim under existing siding, I simply held it up and used a nail gun to shoot nails up through the bottom of the top piece at an angle. In an area where I was installing it before the siding, I tacked in some spacers and/or temporary horizontal supports and then shot nails down at an angle. Both ways seemed to work fine, and since the back of my top piece was cut to fit flush against the house, it held itself up pretty well. The “crown” molding was the last piece, just to cover the gap and to provide a little extra support for the top piece. Let me know if that wasn’t clear…

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s