Before/After

Although virtually every step of every project is contained somewhere in this site, we know that some people just want to get down to the nitty-gritty. So, we’re adding this new page of before and after photos for any of the projects we’ve finished. It is important to note that we use the word “finished” liberally, and in some cases, it may take several more years before we actually install that final piece of trim or stain the wood in the kitchen doorways. But, with the creative use of small pictures, you’d never know it by looking at this site. If you’re curious about any of the projects, click the corresponding tag on the left side of the page to see all that went into it…

Kitchen: The big bang. This is the biggest project we tackled in this house. Not only was it a full gut job, we moved every single door and window, forcing us to reframe the entire perimeter of the kitchen. It was especially nice to get rid of the dropped ceiling in the back (which appeared to have been an old porch in a previous life) and gain a uniform height throughout the entire kitchen. See more here.

Downstairs bathroom: Stepping back in time. While we didn’t go all the way back to 1911, we did get much closer to the era of the house. While the ’60’s must have been a great time for some, whomever remodeled our bathroom in 1962 had to have been high at the time. Especially when they glued the shower tile directly to the drywall. See more here.

Living and dining rooms: Who needs fresh air, anyway? We were lucky (determined may be more accurate) to find a house with intact, stained woodwork. We found it in this house, but sometime along the way (again, all clues point to the 1962 remodel) someone removed ALL of the windows in these rooms and replaced them with solid sheets of glass and a central A/C unit. We pulled out both the windows and the decrepit A/C and replaced them with Marvin Ultimate Insert windows and fresh air. They cost us a small fortune, but they brought us back to an authentic look, as well as being better insulated and low-E. They are metal on the outside and stainable wood in the interior, so we were able to mix stains to get them to blend into our existing woodwork. Most people that come over (who aren’t old house geeks) are always surprised to find out they’re not original. Other than the windows, all we did in these rooms was rewire all the lighting, replace the out-of-place Victorian chandelier and buy new shades at Rejuvenation. See more here: living, dining.

Upstairs: putting the funk in funky. The upstairs is living proof of how our getting sucked in by the downstairs woodwork clouded our judgment when we needed it most. This was the kind of project that you either need to a) run away from, b) decide to live with forever or c) commit to dropping $30-40k-?? to have someone else do the work. Unfortunately for us, we chose the unthinkable option “d”, which was the “hey, let’s just do it ourself!” plan. We gutted the upstairs in late 2004 before we moved into the house. We literally kept it boarded up and off limits until January 2007, over 2 years later!  We then spent the majority of the next year and a half getting to our nearly done state.  Besides the obvious of new finishes to replace the “Hansel & Gretel” aesthetic, we decided that the 6′ ceiling height just couldn’t cut it and systematically rebuilt the bottom of every single roof truss to gain an addition 3″. As crazy as that sounds, it was actually worth the sweat and time. That more than anything completely changed the feel of the room. To see the details, click here.

Advertisements